Last Tango in Paris...
...is a movie I have not seen. But we are at the end of the Paris posts, so there you go.
I forgot to mention that on one of the evenings in Paris, we went into Notre-Dame. I don't have photos of it. I think photography was not allowed, and I am a rule follower by nature. But let me say that the interior of Notre-Dame that evening was just stunningly beautiful. Such lights as there were illuminated the interior arches, walls, and columns just so. There was enough sun outside to appreciate the stained-glass windows. And the general darkness created a calm and quiet atmosphere. It might have been my favorite visit to a church ever. It's a gift of the 12th century to all of us who came later.
This last post will include a hodge-podge of photos from our last evening after visiting Musee d'Orsay, and the next morning as we started off toward Gare du Nord to catch a high speed train to Brussels.
The main stop we had remaining was the Sainte-Chapelle, which took us across the Seine from the Musee d'Orsay.
The trick about Sainte-Chapelle is how to capture the spectacular stained-glass windows in a photo. I tried all kinds of angles.
Oh, well. I hope you get the idea. Constructed in the 13th century -- just amazing.
From there, we decided to try to visit the Pantheon.
It had just closed. Our one small disappointment in Paris. But the square outside was beautiful.
That last one is Cyrus with the great Genevan, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, one of the great democratic theorists, paranoids, and deadbeat dads in history.
From there it was an easy walk to the area around Rue Mouffetard, where we strolled along but didn't stop anywhere before heading home. And it started to rain a little bit.
The next morning we left our apartment, and took one last walk past Notre-Dame on the way to the Metro. The second picture here might be hard to make out, but it is the smallest elevator I have ever seen. Just small enough to fit inside a circular staircase in an old building, it could fit one person and a bag of groceries, which might just have been the idea.
What more to say about Paris? We loved our visit. The city delivers on every level -- enjoyable to walk around, beautiful neighborhoods where the typical buildings would be architectural landmarks in most American towns, major historical sites, incredible museums, nice restaurants, and easy public transportation.
Maybe this is the thing to say: even after all the other trips we took this year, Paris remained Cyrus's favorite city of them all.
I forgot to mention that on one of the evenings in Paris, we went into Notre-Dame. I don't have photos of it. I think photography was not allowed, and I am a rule follower by nature. But let me say that the interior of Notre-Dame that evening was just stunningly beautiful. Such lights as there were illuminated the interior arches, walls, and columns just so. There was enough sun outside to appreciate the stained-glass windows. And the general darkness created a calm and quiet atmosphere. It might have been my favorite visit to a church ever. It's a gift of the 12th century to all of us who came later.
This last post will include a hodge-podge of photos from our last evening after visiting Musee d'Orsay, and the next morning as we started off toward Gare du Nord to catch a high speed train to Brussels.
The main stop we had remaining was the Sainte-Chapelle, which took us across the Seine from the Musee d'Orsay.
The trick about Sainte-Chapelle is how to capture the spectacular stained-glass windows in a photo. I tried all kinds of angles.
Oh, well. I hope you get the idea. Constructed in the 13th century -- just amazing.
From there, we decided to try to visit the Pantheon.
It had just closed. Our one small disappointment in Paris. But the square outside was beautiful.
That last one is Cyrus with the great Genevan, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, one of the great democratic theorists, paranoids, and deadbeat dads in history.
From there it was an easy walk to the area around Rue Mouffetard, where we strolled along but didn't stop anywhere before heading home. And it started to rain a little bit.
The next morning we left our apartment, and took one last walk past Notre-Dame on the way to the Metro. The second picture here might be hard to make out, but it is the smallest elevator I have ever seen. Just small enough to fit inside a circular staircase in an old building, it could fit one person and a bag of groceries, which might just have been the idea.
What more to say about Paris? We loved our visit. The city delivers on every level -- enjoyable to walk around, beautiful neighborhoods where the typical buildings would be architectural landmarks in most American towns, major historical sites, incredible museums, nice restaurants, and easy public transportation.
Maybe this is the thing to say: even after all the other trips we took this year, Paris remained Cyrus's favorite city of them all.
By the way... (we learned this after we left notre-dame) did you know that Jesus’s thorn crown is inside the notre-dame in its own special enclosed circular case? Even though I am not religious I think that that is cool.
ReplyDeleteWrite a comment if you did not know that.
DeleteThings may not be so simple. Christian relics typically have complicated histories. I suggest you read the wikipedia entry for "crown of thorns."
Delete