Sea glass

[Charlotte writes:]



I would like to point out something that hasn't been pointed out yet. There is a TON of seaglass at the beach near our house. If you don't know what seaglass is, it's glass that was thrown into the ocean that gets washed up back on the beach. It's not sharp because the water has rounded its edges out, and it is translucent, not clear like normal glass. Seaglass is very beautiful, and my family collects it in Martha's Vineyard every year. 

Now, back to our beach. In certain sections of the beach, you can find 2 pieces every 10 steps! That's a lot compared to other places we've been to. So far, we have collected what we think is over 300 pieces, and that was just from the first month. 

I'll give you a review of our seaglass: we have like 155-160 pieces of green, maybe 85 browns, 35ish whites, 15-20 light blues, 4-5 dark blues, 10ish yellows, 1 red, 1 orange, 2 turquoise, 25ish light green/yellow green, and 1 Caribbean green.  (Also, just so everyone knows, a big gift from Eva resulted in a lot of these. She gave us a lot of hers, and a lot of them we found. Thanks Eva!)

I think our biggest piece of seaglass is a piece of turquoise that I found. It is really big and is easily my favorite piece. I found it because I was swimming and I saw a glimpse of turquoise on the shore. I gasped, ran to shore and picked it up right before a big wave washed it back out. 

I think that's all to know about our seaglass collection right now. Goodbye for now!

Without wax,
Charlotte




Comments

  1. Hi Charlotte, What does " Without wax " mean? Lynn and I love sea glass. We would look for it but never found any.
    Enjoy reading the blog ,glad everything is going well.

    Love, Tante Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is without wax? omax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Oma and Tante Louise! Without wax means 'sincere' from the Latin words 'sine' and 'cera'. It basically means that it was not sugarcoated, that this was all real and that it is the original. It comes from when people made sculptures and there were imperfections, so the artists used wax to put over and re sculpt, making it not the original. Good sculptures were called 'without wax' because they didn't have any fake sculpture on them. So basically without wax is just another form of sincerely. It's nice to hear from both of you, so...
    Without wax,
    Charlotte ��

    Ps say hi to Pops, Little Ray, Lynn, Ernie, SugarPlum, Martha Ann, Onix, Breezy, and Damo for me!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the question marks were supposed to be emojis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise and Lynn: Come visit us! You will be amazed how much sea glass we find, all over every beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful glass! We miss you guys!

    Without wax, karen & co

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment